Pages

Thursday 12 April 2012

David Hockney at the RA


The RA
One of the most talked about exhibitions of the year so far has been David Hockney’s “A Bigger Picture” at the RA. I have to admit, I haven’t ever paid much attention to Hockney, put off slightly by the school art departments almost religious rapture when it came to his work – I think he had been relegated to the pile of disliked artists such as Miro and Picasso (yes, I said it, I don’t like Picasso) but I have certainly seen his work in a new and more interesting light.

I love the impressionists, and you can definitely see the influence of these artists (especially Monet) in his work. Taking the themes of transience and repetition Hockney focuses on a certain scenes - mostly taken from the Yorkshire countryside - returning endlessly to the same point to capture the alterations of light throughout the seasons. His composition and perspective are insane and the sheer size the paintings contribute to the amazing sense of atmosphere that the exhibition creates.

One of the reasons it has got so many people talking is the series of ipad drawings – they are surprisingly good, though better viewed from a distance. Up close you can see that they are computer generated, but the tools the ipad offers definitely suits his style of work. Although there are certain paintings which would certainly remain in the 'dislike/Picasso category' I have definitely had to re-assess his overall categorisation and I look forward to seeing what he will come up with next.  The exhibition has unfortunately finished but there are some great videos and pictures available on the RA website.







Some of my favourites! 
Lx

No comments:

Post a Comment