Pages

Monday 26 March 2012

A (slightly tenuous) Passage through India....





I'm currently writing an essay on Kipling's India fiction and the national boundaries within Empire (fascinating stuff ... no really it actually is, Kipling is a literary genius), but I was reminded of the amazing pictures of India taken by Norman Parkinson in 1956 for Vogue. I adore his work - its infused with such pre-war vision and an old school glamour that those who came after the war never quite managed to capture. If you want to see more of his work, there is currently an exhibition of his work at Bristol's M Shed, running until the 15th April. 




For those wanting to read about 'old school' India and the good old days of the British Raj, I would recommend Forster's A Passage to India or, for something perhaps a little lighter, Kipling's Plain Tales from the Hills.




Also in my brief moments of procrastination (ahem...) I came across Thakoon's new nail polish range for NARS, inspired by his Indian colours from his S/S 12 NYFW collection). Slightly tenuous link but they're too cute to ignore!! (Available from 1st May)


(Apologies for the rambling post, I probably need to get out of the library more...) 
L x

1 comment:

  1. This comment has been removed by a blog administrator.

    ReplyDelete