Pages

Tuesday 22 November 2011

Grecian Mini Break???




Life is unbelieeeeeevably dull right now,  the weather is horrific, and if I attempt to contemplate the amount of work that I have to get done in the next couple of weeks I might actually bring on some kind of mental and/or physical breakdown. Nonetheless in moments of extreme boredom while gazing out of the window at the builders having yet another fag break I like to envisage other places I would rather be.. today is Kephalonia the setting for the one of my favourite books, Capitan Corelli's Mandolin. Yes the film is beautiful and I do have a rather large place in my heart for Nicholas Cage, but the book trumps it every time. This cover designed by Rob Ryan is also amazing. Enjoy!

"It is a light that seems unmediated either by the air or the stratosphere. It is completely virgin, it produces overwhelming clarity of focus, it has heroic strength and brilliance. It exposes colours in their original prelapsarian state as though straight from the imagination of God in his youngest days, when He still believed that all was good. The dark green of the pines is unfathomably and retreatingly deep, the ocean viewed from the top of the cliff is platonic in its presentation of azure and turquoise, emerald, viridian and lapsis lazuli"

L x

1 comment:

  1. Love that passage and would SO rather be there right now than in dreary old Manchester listening to the police cars whizzing up and down...

    ReplyDelete